Chatbots are automated computer programs that can “converse” with humans and have been around for a long time, but the development of social media and Google’s VA platform have pushed them to the forefront of consumer engagement. The question for telecom marketers today is whether chatbots are worth the time and money to plug into your overall marketing strategy. Let’s take a look at the plus/minus columns for this automated customer interaction tool.
- Instant Response – Day or night
- Not Human – But still personal
- Text Driven – Easy consumer interaction
- Cheap to Build – Many platforms, free and paid
- Irrelevant Information – Possibly a negative customer experience
- Security – Customer account information concerns
- Interaction Limitations – Complex consumer responses can pose problems
Do You Really Need a Chatbot?
Chatbots really shine when interacting with social media, so if you are very active in that arena with a lot of customer engagement, a chatbot should be explored. If you don’t have frequent interactions with your customers, or if those interactions require very specific responses, there’s no point in wasting assets on something that your business doesn’t need.
You are invited to direct any questions related to marketing Innovative Systems products to Scott Meyer or Melissa Waddell at 605.995.6120.